Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Truth And Confusion About Can’t And Won’t

Can't and Won’t  are two words we use quite often. They let someone know, or if we are talking to ourselves, that something is not going to happen.

Yet, how we use Can’t and Won’t will either accelerate our relationships or it can take them backwards.

For example, if you asked me to cut down a tree I can answer you with the following.

“No, I won’t cut down that tree.”

“No, I can’t cut down that tree.”

Without reading anything into either statement:

“No, I won’t cut down that tree.” That is a statement of attitude and emotion. It is valid. It is about my belief system.

“No, I can’t cut down that tree.” Usually, this would be more a statement of fact. You just can’t do it. You just don’t have the skills, the equipment or the time. There is attitude and emotion attached to it but the underlying concern is about fact.

Yet, when we communicate with others or ourselves very often we confuse can’t and  won’t . And  in the process, we can confuse our listener. The truth about ‘can’t’ and ‘won’t’ is that they are both valid.

Be careful how you use ‘can’t’ and ‘won’t’. That’s what can be confusing.

 See more at: http://www.businesskeystosuccess.com/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment